Vini375

Maximum distance nutrients can travel in a system.

3 posts in this topic

Hi All.

Can someone please help me out with a question that has been bothering me for some time now?

I would like to build a massive Aquaponics system in a large green house. My idea is to have swirl filter flow into my wicked bed thats 1/4 of the overall growing area which then flows into a DWC system and the back up into my fish tank. Whats bothering is the distance, at what distance in the growing systems does one start to lose nutrients?  I have heard a guy once tell me that the growing systems shouldn't extend more than 25m, anything longer than 25m your nutrients starts to get lost to the plants. Is this true or can someone share their experiences and expertise with me?

Your input would be much appreciated.

Hi Vini375

Welcome to APN/HQ

The nutrients will stay in the water no matter how long the distance you run it, unless they are used by plants(algea),micro organisms, deluted, gassed of etc. and finaly return to the fish tank. 

I guess it,s more for practical reasons you would have to walk around it, or build cross walkways, and/or head loss if you have to pipe/pump the water back to fishtanks for long distances.

cheers

Thank you Ande. Much appreciated dear sir.

On 7/21/2017 at 3:18 PM, ande said:

Hi Vini375

Welcome to APN/HQ

The nutrients will stay in the water no matter how long the distance you run it, unless they are used by plants(algea),micro organisms, deluted, gassed of etc. and finaly return to the fish tank. 

I guess it,s more for practical reasons you would have to walk around it, or build cross walkways, and/or head loss if you have to pipe/pump the water back to fishtanks for long distances.

cheers