Cecil

Final products of my niche market

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

There is some amazing work out there but a lot of stuff that makes one cringe when one sees it. I do a fair amount of repainting of other's work that is pretty dismal. 

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)
vkn likes this

Terrific as always Cecil.  Beautiful work man!

Posted (edited)

On July 20, 2017 at 5:32 PM, kellenw said:

Terrific as always Cecil.  Beautiful work man!

On a funny note was doing a presentation several years ago when I was president of my state aquaculture association. One guy from Purdue made the comment, "We heard you don't do much in aquaculture." Kind of insulting but I'm sure it originally came from one of the academics there. 

Ironically my fish prices are second only to high end koi farms in Japan. I may not have the numbers but I get at least $40.00 each for my fish going up to $250.00. I run out of trout in a few weeks. 

bigdaddy likes this

Posted (edited)

I figured at 700 trout if I sell them all at $40.00 minimum (they usually go for more) I've got $28,000 worth of fish in that 1/10th acre pond. I will be moving most of them this fall into a much larger pond. So much for "I hear you don't do much in aquaculture."

Got a couple of Great Blue Herons hanging around the pond even with running them off with bottle rockets and staked lines around the pond. I saw one with a trout in his mouth as I ran him off. I hate killing things but I've done everything non-lethally possible to discourage them. Looks like a permit from U.S. Fish & Wildlife for $100.00 to take a couple out is my last option. What a shame but I have to protect my investment. The profit will be my new pole building in a year or two. 

ande likes this

Posted (edited)

Form 37 is on it's way to apply toward a state permit and then the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Permit. Will be running off the birds for  couple more weeks. 

If I could just have a man to bird talk with them to tell them my patience is running out and things could get dicy for them...

Hi Cecil, I use a thick nylon bird's net to ward off similar birds from our aquaponics fish culture tanks.  Your pond is slightly big but it is very much doable in large areas as well.  Just thought this would help before your Form 37 gets you a killing licence..:)

Posted (edited)

59 minutes ago, vkn said:

Hi Cecil, I use a thick nylon bird's net to ward off similar birds from our aquaponics fish culture tanks.  Your pond is slightly big but it is very much doable in large areas as well.  Just thought this would help before your Form 37 gets you a killing licence..:)

I've thought of that. How difficult would it be to get it really taunt over the pond without it falling into the water? The pond is 59 by 85 feet. 

I'd actually prefer to do that if it was effective vs. killing them. 

17 hours ago, Cecil said:

I've thought of that. How difficult would it be to get it really taunt over the pond without it falling into the water? The pond is 59 by 85 feet. 

I'd actually prefer to do that if it was effective vs. killing them. 

Poles made of bamboos or any other wood are used as stakes in between.  You can use galvanized iron also.  Usually the bird's net over larger pond is done in summers here when water level is low or when pond is dry.

Old Prospector likes this

On August 8, 2017 at 5:38 AM, vkn said:

Poles made of bamboos or any other wood are used as stakes in between.  You can use galvanized iron also.  Usually the bird's net over larger pond is done in summers here when water level is low or when pond is dry.

Thanks. I will look into that for next year. In actuality it would not have to be over the entire pond. Just out a few feet from the edges and out over the water would work as these birds do not land in the water but wade in. That said it would have to be set up where they can't stand on the netting to fish over the edge. So perhaps it would be better and easier to just cover the pond. I had a bird one night in another pond standing on an extension cord to a night light that was used to attract yellow perch fry for feed training. These birds are really amazingly intelligent! 

New bird showed up at the peak of the solar eclipse.  Osprey aka Fish Hawk. Hopefully passing through as I did see it at all today.