Moses

My current small test model

57 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, bigdaddy said:

Hi Moses,

I can't see any reason why what you suggest could not work...If it is set up properly

There is some talk somewhere on the forums about wicking beds...

Have a look through the non aquaponic growing systems section.

And you'll find this.

You may also find some other threads of interest there.

Hope this helps.

Keep up with your regular testing, it's a very good way of catching something if things start to go wrong. I'd suggest keeping a log. Posting on here is a good way of doing that. Or you could keep it somewhere else of course.

I'd keep a particular eye on your nitrates ATM and see if they drop after your planting. If they do not, post on here again and we'll see what we can do to help. 

How are your fish looking?

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Cheers.

Mr.Bigdaddy, i have seen quite a few videos about wicking bed and have read quite a few writings including the link that you send but there is just one thing that i did not quite understand. where should the drainage pipe be. is it below the geotextile fabric or above the geotextile fabric (the medium / fabric that separates the water + media and the soil)?. if it is above the fabric, wont the soil clog the drainage pipe? if it is below will the water keep the fabric wet enough for the wicking to work?
few sources i have seen says that the best depth for wicking would 30cm deep soil, any more than that the wicking wont work that well, i have also read post of people claiming that there is no need to use the geotextile, just soil top down is fine. i will be trying those both but i just need to understand the position of drain pipe, is it below (covered by) the geotextile or above the geotextile meaning it is in the soil.

Yes i will check the nitrates reading more often.
i have not seen anything wrong with the fish, they are eating good, no matter how much i put in they will just gobble it up 10 to 20 minutes later and asking for more. the water is clear but a little red color since i added chelated iron and my fish feed somehow give off red color and high phosphate. i plant to add a round air stone that will sit at the bottom of my filter tank so they will aerate and help break down the solid fish waste, i have read few reading claiming that it helps but i dont know for sure, is this true? since my airstone kept floating in the middle or to the water surface which is tedious as to having to move them to the bottom everytime.

I have also intended  to add a seeding rack which have grow light sitting just 3cm or 4cm above the net pot before moving them to the system, as i read it helps so that the plant wont be leggy or spindly, it helps to keep the plant level. my plant has stalk that is about 1,5cm or 2cm which is indeed shorter than before adding the grow light. i have also noticed that after adding the light, the plant which is about 1 week already has roots in the water is i think is a good sign. do you think this is a good addition?

i appreciate the help and explanation sir.

Edited by Moses (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Hi again Moses

Endless number of designs to choose from here https://www.google.no/search?q=wicking+bed&client=firefox-b-ab&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiMnd6PqM_VAhWKbFAKHdCzDLEQsAQIPA&biw=1244&bih=694

Pick one that fits your local easy/cheap/free available materials and tools.

Old Prospector have some nice designed small wicking buckets in his photo album have a look at them, they might be a good alternative

http://aquaponicsnation.com/forums/profile/4316-old-prospector/?tab=node_gallery_gallery

cheers

Edited by ande (see edit history)

Can someone please tell me what this is?

its seems slimy but on hand it is not as slimy as it seems. It only grows in my grow bed and not in my filter tank or fish tank.

IMG_8757.JPG

Hi Moses

It's algea ;)

cheers

Hi Moses,

To stop algae, if your water readings are correct...

Stop the sunlight hitting the water/algae.

Cheers.

Hello guys, here is an update on my plant along with a picture, sorry if it isnt so clear since i dont know why its like that.

the middle plant is 3 weeks and a few days old and the other is only 2 weeks old. I see a big improvement on the growth after adding iron and grow lights plus foliage spraying magnesium sulfate water mix. Algae kept growing on the plant roots while i keep removing them to let them sink to the bottom. I dont know whether the algae is helpful to the plant roots or not in term of sucking nutrients. I also dont know what kind of algae it is. The pak choy although doesnt grow quite good to the eye since it seems to grow stem in a random manner, has leaf bigger and thicker than the one i see in the market. The No3 dropped 30%. I am trying to make compost tea hoping it will boost the growth and also help the system to cope with the plant needs. I think its going great aside from few technical and equipment issues, what do you guys think?

IMG_8772.JPG

bigdaddy likes this