• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

About Aufin

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Location
    Lakeland, Fl.

More Information

  • Interests
    Interested in lots of stuff

Recent Profile Visitors

1987 profile views
  1. Interesting, and aggressive, concept. Something else to think about ...... since you seem open to combining different AP styles into one system, why not give sandbeds/iAVs style some consideration for your filtering needs. Get your water filtered and additional growing areas at the same time, and a lot less time wasted mucking around with whatever you have to do to clean the fish tanks. The iAVs method operates quite a bit different than most aquaponic methods and would require it's own dedicated pump, timer, supply and return drain lines, but looking at the scale of the operation you envision, and the filtering requirements, iAVs just might be something to consider.
  2. Always interesting to see what is possible in the sandbeds. Seems it's going to be a short list of what won't grow in the sandbeds. Keep up the good work .
  3. Looks like what we call Elderberry around here. Has many uses. For anyone interested enough .....
  4. Nice okra. My okra is is a little behind yours by just a couple weeks. Looking forward to picking some fresh okra once again this season. The only product I'm comfortable using on a regular basis for bug control is Neem oil/water mist. Once a week, or spot spray when a bug is spotted.
  5. Recognize some of them. Need labels. Especially the white lacey flower.
  6. Ive been thinking the same thing.....where is everybody, what's going on? Maybe the weather is keeping everybody inside not doing anything with their AP systems. Waiting for the many people who have said they are starting an iAVs system to post their progress.
  7. Any progress? How about an update.
  8. Would very much like to see how the Circle of Life project is progressing.
  9. Not familiar with the valve you chose. It looks much more high tech and more expensive than what I had in mind. This is what I use.....a simple ball valve. As to the sand, Gary D. needs to come along and help on that.
  10. I think your pump should do just fine. Put valves on your supply line at the points where each line feeds each bed. You will need to control how much water flows into each bed. In doing so, the water pressure will equalize along the entire length and each bed should get plenty of water. Probably take a little trial and error to get everything set just the way you want. Plus, the situation in each bed will change along the way as each bed matures, so the valves will help keep things under control. Also, register here for additional assistance.
  11. And strawberry milk? Pink cows? Have never seen any pink cows. Must be from magic pink unicorns.
  12. I want to clarify something. I might have given the impression I added the neem oil to the tank water. The full strength Neem Oil was sprinkled on the sand so it could drain down till the flood cycle started and rinse it through. And the fish are still doing just fine.
  13. Quite possibly you're right, Gary, but since I also saw some evidence on a tomato, I'm not taking any chances ...... the entire system got a light dosing of Neem Oil. I put about 5 oz Neem into approx 350 gallons water. Puts a sheen on the water, and one can certainly smell it, but the fish don't seem to mind. Wondering if the odor has any deterrent effect on the flying/creepy crawley critters normally found around the plants. Fed the herd this morning ...... they went after it as usual. Leftover beets getting pulled today, being replaced with a row of beans. Also going to sprinkle some okra starts amongst everything else. This is getting fun.
  14. Here's the most recent. Beans (already picked 5 times) and carrots in large bed, small bed - large broccoli heads have been picked, letting smaller bitesize clusters grow, small cabbage starters, next bed- small broccoli starters, onions down center hills in both narrow beds, and a few small beet plants that I haven't snatched out yet, soon to be replaced with another planting of beans when the starter seeds get a little taller/stronger. Spaced in all beds are a few tomatoes, some small okras, cucumbers and mums and marigolds.......and my team of security flamingos. Small bed in back by the fence has squash, cucumber and catnip. Blue barrel "sow's ear" is gone.