All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Today
  2. First inflorescence of Enza Zaden cherry tomatoes in aquaponics sand culture yield trials.. here is an image FYI. Second most consumable vegetable after potato in the world, first in terms of total nutrients to human diet among vegetables, consumed in fresh form and various processed forms like soup, sauce, ketchup, puree, paste, canned, etc., tomato tops the list of processed vegetables. In aquaponics sand culture, semi-indeterminate Arka Rakshak tomato yields have been proved several times at >150 kg per m2 per year (@4 plants x 2.6 crops x 15 kg). Commercial aquaponics if done right is not a diabolical fantasy. We are very enthusiastic about this trial at NARDC. Today’s consumers want vegetables that are both tasty and healthy (pesticide-free). Priced at average Rs. 150/- per kg (INR), highest being Rs. 300/-, add 30% organic premium rate, there is absolute market potential for cherry tomatoes in India. Your comments?
  3. I experienced almost similar results in some of the old trials.. roots, growth and yield were much better but then most of the systems with looser sand clogged after say 18 months or so.
  4. Yes I do, it's in Hamilton Blues niles
  5. Last week
  6. An easy and flawless way to patch your liner is to mend it with pond pro 2000, DIY version of fixing leak of pond liner, easy to use and perfect for joining without trouble. For more details: http://joankeeleypond.blogspot.com/2015/01/are-you-diy-guy-want-simple-method-to.html
  7. Aquaponic systems need some investments at starting But it is the efficient system that will give organic products faster than any other. And The best and easiest way to plan and organize your aquaponic production system is that which products are in demanding at your local market, prices of products, products consumption, marketing opportunities. If you follow all these factors and techniques for aquaponic system but firstly research before you invest.If the system is set in proper way then it will pay off much quicker and allow you to make profits faster.
  8. Here is some data and a picture album dedicated to Today's Fresh Aquaponics, NARDCs CSAF, a commercial aquaponics sand culture demonstration facility at Kollam, Kerala. Plants in focus: Arka Rakshak tomatoes, Arka Anamika okra, Enza Zaden cucumbers, heirloom snakegourd, bittergourd, bottlegourd, lablab beans, stevia, brijal, etc. Biodiversity and polyculture organic farming is key focus in this demo facility. Mean daily temperature: 29/25 degree celcius Precipitation: 20% Humidity: 86% Wind speed: 11 mph NW Flower buds induction and growth/development of new leaves is adequate. Natural pollination seems normal, however, hand pollination is to be practiced well by the operators. Suggested use of an electric toothbrush as well. Plant stretch and stem elongation rate seems appropriate. Plant diseases hardly observed except a few cases of tomato virus. On rain shelter protected structure: A rain shelter is a greenhouse-like unit, in which only the roof is covered with a transparent or translucent material that is impervious to rain. It can either have no or open sidewalls but has no mechanical ventilation or heating system. Rain shelters are increasingly being viewed as more sustainable than totally enclosed greenhouses because they require a much lower initial capital investment. Temperatures in these structures are generally lower than in totally enclosed greenhouses, and if appropriately managed, yields and productivity are arguably higher than in greenhouses or open field production. Particularly in heavy rain areas, its effectiveness is quite high. Challenges ahead: Cucumber beetle Fruit flies Bittergourd caterpillars Mealybugs Sanitation related issues More work to be done in tomato trellis and cluster support. Whatelse?
  9. we have uniseals if yo still want to purchase thankyou
  10. Good Day everyone, I'm new here at this forum, from the Philippines. If someone wants some Aquaponics set up, tools, seedlings and many more don't hesitate to visit our website at www.aquaponicsgogreen.com If you have question about aquaponics in the philippines don't hesitate to ask. More power to everyone. God bless us all. Jessele
  11. Myself and a buddy of mine are currently starting the design process for a small scale/Pilot project, partial re-use system for raising Tilapia. He recently purchased a farm in a tropical region of Colombia which has a year-round stream/waterfall flowing right through the property. We have been discussing the idea of trying to take advantage of the stream by building a pilot project for an 80% RAS//20% flow-through to get a better idea of the economics behind it before entertaining the idea of anything commercial. The one area where were getting stuck is coming up with the most efficient way to control the water temperature in the system. The temperature of the incoming flow is around 70-71 degrees F, (We've been checking it multiple days at different points throughout the day). Considering were located right on the Equator, There isnt any seasonal changes in ambient temperature...Were looking at year-round avg daily highs of 82-85 degrees, avg nightly lows of 61-63, (overall avg temperatures right around 71 degrees throughout the year. We are trying to figure out the most efficient way possible to keep the water temps right around 75-77 degrees consistently throughout the day. I've spent all week trying to familiarize myself with the Thermal aspect of water temp control but I just keep going around in circles with all of the available ways to heat the water. Were set on starting with 3 tanks, 2000 Gallons each with a replacement flow-rate of around 7 gpm, and the recirculating rate of 27gpm. The tanks will be installed outdoors but we are not opposed to putting up a greenhouse/plastic coverhouse over the tanks but I cant imagine that alone making much of a difference considering there wouldnt be any insulation. Immersion heaters work, but I have to believe there is a more economical way to taking advantage of the climate here. Granted we will have to regulate the temperature through-out the year...we are realistically only a few degrees away from Optimum growing conditions. We realize we will not only have to maintain the temperatures in the tanks, but also attempt to raise the temp of the incoming replacement flow a few degrees to try and keep things consistent. So far i've looked into In-line heaters for increasing the replacement flow temps, immersion heaters for keeping the growout tank temperatures within range, Heat exchangers/pumps to recover some of the heat from the 20% that is exiting the system. But realistically, I cant figure out which might be overkill, in-efficient, or theoretically incorrect lol Also, would incorporating a Solar heating system be complementary? How do I even begin the process of sizing it considering our production parameters? its usually around 75 degrees by 9am, 85 degrees by noon, and 75 by 5pm, so there's about 8 hours throughout the day where ambient temperatures are just perfect. Sorry If im being redundant, thermal energy is just not my cup of tea. But if anyone can point me in the right direction, any insight would be appreciated.
  12. Noble Aquaponics (NARDCs CSAF Alappuzha) had gone live on Friday. A 100 m2 demonstration farm facility, it is an owner operated subsistence farming model, surplus produce sold to the local community. Noble team will lead the aquaponics replication efforts from now on in Alappuzha district of Kerala. It was kindly inaugurated by the Niranam Gramapanchayat President and Agricultural Officer with blessings from all the near and dear ones of Sreenagesh's family. Happy aquaponicing, Noble team!
  13. Earlier
  14. by running monofilament fishing line marked with orange duck tape tabs over he water and criss crossing it with other line. Seems to have done the job as they have left it alone.
  15. Arka Anamika okra cultivar is another crop we found it suitable for cultivation in domestic as well as in large scale commercial aquaponics sand culture units. For the aquaponics data enthusiasts, here is some from our Arka Anamika yield trial.. Note, it is a work in progress. Questions welcome. Number of plants per square meter - 9 Minimum days to flowering - 31.97 Days to fruit setting - 36.87 Maximum plant height - 120.38 cm (still growing) Pods per plant - 20.40 (and counting) Pod weight per plant - 560.6 gm Yield per square meter - 5.045 kg
  16. Update on the all purpose sand. There is big variance between sand bags and the last ones I bought had a lot of shells in them and compacted. I had moved the system outside for the summer. Drainage became slower till the point it would take an hour to drain and with Daytime temps over 100F it started killing the plants and killed the nitrifying bacteria. This answered by personal question for myself, can flow rate be adjusted to compensate for sand that drained less that ideal. The answer in this particular scenario of high temperatures is a resounding NO. I have since replaced it with pool filter sand from the same company and nitrification has restarted and the plants are rebounding and putting of fruit. So to recap, quickcrete all purpose sand --- too much variation from bag to bag and some bags had high amounts of fines in them. quickcrete pool filter sand -- bought 10 bags so far- appears to be finely ground and sharp quartz crystals- good drainage, no alteration of ph, no visible signs of shells. The roots expand better in the pool sand than the all purpose sand , so growth is definitely better in the looser sand.
  17. It was time to train the Enza Zaden cherry tomato plants by attaching the vine twines and vine clips. Here is an update picture of the yield trial at Nanniode.
  18. This info has warned us the need for better precautions and to be sure to follow them wherever possible. Appreciate your thoughts, Big Daddy. FYI.. we have very minimal exposure areas to its dust. I have no idea how they handle it at the mining or crushing/sieving/mixing process though. We get them packed tight in 50 kg bags (value-added). I have to work on appropriate precautions when they are 1) unloaded dry from trucks, 2) carried headloaded dry to the filter beds, 3) times of wet surface levelling, etc. I'm also hoping it for a long time that the quarries wash the dust away before dispatching it. Not so lucky this far. If you could get washed sand, go for it even though it comes at a premium price.
  19. Hi VKN, Thanks for that info, It's a good read. Similar to the MSDS sheets we have over here. If you are exposed to airbourne sand contaminants for large periods of time without the appropriate safety measures in place you may get silicosis. Silicosis effects the lungs and is not a very nice illness to have. Pre seventies and eighties many people died from that. It is my recollection that in the late seventies and early eighties, over here, government enforced safety laws were brought in to force commercial operators to put appropriate safety measures in place when operating a business which involved using sand blasting. This led to a move toward grit blasting. Grit blasting used a different media to sand. Appropriate safety measures still needed to be in place but the use of sand was eliminated thus the risk of silicosis was eliminated. I can not remember the exact details because I've been out of that area for quite a while but I think only family or 1 or 2 people could commercially run sand blasting businesses. I used to get my personal products sand blasted because of the finer finish sand gave. Fast forwarding to using sand in our operations today. The risk of breathing in airbourne sand fines and having enough on your clothes to cause any type of issues would be extremely low. If working with sand causes you concerns, then a proper risk assessment of your job can be done. Over here, if you are doing anything commercially you must carry out complete risk assessments which would include assessing the risk to health moving sand may cause and appropriate safety measures must be put in place prior to production. I have only mentioned using silica for sand blasting as I think that is an appropriate example of silica sand causing safety issues. There are many other industries using sand including the mining of it. I'm not sure of the mineral sand mines safety specifically but you can be assured that in Australia, all of these companies would be well and truly all over it. To summarize my thoughts. I think it is very good to be aware of the health and safety issues but we should be level headed about it. I don't think in a home context it will be to much of an issue I think we should do what we can to keep the dust down and be reasonably practicable when working with it. IMO this is good standard practice anyway. Hint: Did you know a good way to keep the dust down is to wet the sand? or be gentle with it moving moving it dry? Once again, thanks for sharing I enjoyed reading that info. It's always good to find out possible risks to health when using a product. Cheers.
  20. Chanced upon to this info on Quartz Si sand while searching for something on Zeolites.. All good info for the practitioners, so sharing. Comments welcome. http://www.inchem.org/documents/icsc/icsc/eics0808.htm First, PREVENT DISPERSION OF DUST! AVOID ALL CONTACT! SPILLAGE DISPOSAL/personal protection: particulate filter respirator adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Sweep spilled substance into covered containers. If appropriate, moisten first to prevent dusting. Wash away remainder with plenty of water. Danger: May cause cancer if inhaled. Causes damage to the lungs, the immune system and the kidneys through prolonged or repeated exposure if inhaled. Do NOT take working clothes home.
  21. Hi mamakat Welcome to APN/HQ cheers
  22. Hi mamakat, and welcome to APN There's lot's of information here at APN so have a little scroll through and don't be frightened to ask questions. Enjoy... Cheers.
  23. Hi all, I'm living in the country outside of Seattle. Raising chickens for our eggs and a summer garden. Have a 55 gallon tank thats looking to be repurposed. Thought about aquaponic but am a total newbie so I'm in research mode. Mamakat.
  24. Kia Ora Glenn, My kiddos were born in Auckland. We miss Aoteroa but living near the grandparents in Seattle now. Mamakat
  25. Hi Ande, I am aware of this myth and possibly another misconception regarding bottlegourd juice. A member of the cucurbitaceae family, it is a very common vegetable in India and is a hot sell commercially. I have begun drinking its juice raw couple of months ago ever since I was diagnosed as mild diabetic and borderline hypertensive. We grow this amazing vegetable all the time and family uses it cooked.. Experts try to reveal the truth here. Please give it a reading. https://food.ndtv.com/health/is-drinking-lauki-juice-harmful-de-bunking-the-myth-1841589 Also this https://food.ndtv.com/food-drinks/7-incredible-benefits-of-drinking-of-bottle-gourd-lauki-juice-1452828. Cheers!
  26. Hi vkn I'm not familiar with bottle gourd, it's not grown around here but you can buy them. Eating the fruit meat, is known as a lactation remedy here ? Using google I found this spooky news article https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/pune/healthy-woman-dies-after-drinking-bottle-gourd-juice/articleshow/64675921.cms from India, amongst numerous health benefit promotions, on the fruit like this article http://conscioushealth.net/10-health-benefits-of-bottle-gourd-or-lauki-conscious-health-nahid-ameen/ cheers
  27. Loki as fresh juice and as a vegetable for today's lunch from the hanging aquaponics gardens at Nanniode.. Some weighing over 2.2 kg, 8-12 fruits per plant at a spacing of 2-3 plants per square meter, consider bottlegourd as another successful vine crop in both domestic and commercial aquaponics sand culture applications. Have you also heard bottlegourds are magic vegetables as a medicine? Any thoughts?
  28. Hi fm7777 Welcome to APN/HQ I would stick to the blue drums (price), If you look in the comments (scroll down) in this link http://web.archive.org/web/20130825130637/http://www.earthangroup.com.au:80/diy-solids-filter/ you will get a flow capacity figure on the blue drum. You should also look in to multiple outlets of the fish(shrimp) tank, bottom drain/midwater pickup/surface skimmer. Use the RFF primarily on the bottom drain with aprox 20% of the total flow (increase at feeding time). Also remember until the filter is drained of solids, it represents a potential bio foul hazard, with the solids standing in the water column. IMO you should drain out the filter(s) as daily routine in any high density setup. If that is a practical problem, maybe look in to rotary drum filter or parabolic screen filter, where the solids are automatically taken directly out of the water column, as it passes thru. There are multiple threads on diy versions of all the filters on the forum, also koiphen forum has a great diy section http://www.koiphen.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?294-Pond-Construction-amp-Filtration&s=d9d545355e5a5d839cf027e52c19bde7 cheers
  1. Load more activity