All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Today
  2. Noble Aquaponics (NARDCs CSAF Alappuzha) had gone live on Friday. A 100 m2 demonstration farm facility, it is an owner operated subsistence farming model, surplus produce sold to the local community. Noble team will lead the aquaponics replication efforts from now on in Alappuzha district of Kerala. It was kindly inaugurated by the Niranam Gramapanchayat President and Agricultural Officer with blessings from all the near and dear ones of Sreenagesh's family. Happy aquaponicing, Noble team!
  3. Last week
  4. by running monofilament fishing line marked with orange duck tape tabs over he water and criss crossing it with other line. Seems to have done the job as they have left it alone.
  5. Arka Anamika okra cultivar is another crop we found it suitable for cultivation in domestic as well as in large scale commercial aquaponics sand culture units. For the aquaponics data enthusiasts, here is some from our Arka Anamika yield trial.. Note, it is a work in progress. Questions welcome. Number of plants per square meter - 9 Minimum days to flowering - 31.97 Days to fruit setting - 36.87 Maximum plant height - 120.38 cm (still growing) Pods per plant - 20.40 (and counting) Pod weight per plant - 560.6 gm Yield per square meter - 5.045 kg
  6. Update on the all purpose sand. There is big variance between sand bags and the last ones I bought had a lot of shells in them and compacted. I had moved the system outside for the summer. Drainage became slower till the point it would take an hour to drain and with Daytime temps over 100F it started killing the plants and killed the nitrifying bacteria. This answered by personal question for myself, can flow rate be adjusted to compensate for sand that drained less that ideal. The answer in this particular scenario of high temperatures is a resounding NO. I have since replaced it with pool filter sand from the same company and nitrification has restarted and the plants are rebounding and putting of fruit. So to recap, quickcrete all purpose sand --- too much variation from bag to bag and some bags had high amounts of fines in them. quickcrete pool filter sand -- bought 10 bags so far- appears to be finely ground and sharp quartz crystals- good drainage, no alteration of ph, no visible signs of shells. The roots expand better in the pool sand than the all purpose sand , so growth is definitely better in the looser sand.
  7. It was time to train the Enza Zaden cherry tomato plants by attaching the vine twines and vine clips. Here is an update picture of the yield trial at Nanniode.
  8. This info has warned us the need for better precautions and to be sure to follow them wherever possible. Appreciate your thoughts, Big Daddy. FYI.. we have very minimal exposure areas to its dust. I have no idea how they handle it at the mining or crushing/sieving/mixing process though. We get them packed tight in 50 kg bags (value-added). I have to work on appropriate precautions when they are 1) unloaded dry from trucks, 2) carried headloaded dry to the filter beds, 3) times of wet surface levelling, etc. I'm also hoping it for a long time that the quarries wash the dust away before dispatching it. Not so lucky this far. If you could get washed sand, go for it even though it comes at a premium price.
  9. Hi VKN, Thanks for that info, It's a good read. Similar to the MSDS sheets we have over here. If you are exposed to airbourne sand contaminants for large periods of time without the appropriate safety measures in place you may get silicosis. Silicosis effects the lungs and is not a very nice illness to have. Pre seventies and eighties many people died from that. It is my recollection that in the late seventies and early eighties, over here, government enforced safety laws were brought in to force commercial operators to put appropriate safety measures in place when operating a business which involved using sand blasting. This led to a move toward grit blasting. Grit blasting used a different media to sand. Appropriate safety measures still needed to be in place but the use of sand was eliminated thus the risk of silicosis was eliminated. I can not remember the exact details because I've been out of that area for quite a while but I think only family or 1 or 2 people could commercially run sand blasting businesses. I used to get my personal products sand blasted because of the finer finish sand gave. Fast forwarding to using sand in our operations today. The risk of breathing in airbourne sand fines and having enough on your clothes to cause any type of issues would be extremely low. If working with sand causes you concerns, then a proper risk assessment of your job can be done. Over here, if you are doing anything commercially you must carry out complete risk assessments which would include assessing the risk to health moving sand may cause and appropriate safety measures must be put in place prior to production. I have only mentioned using silica for sand blasting as I think that is an appropriate example of silica sand causing safety issues. There are many other industries using sand including the mining of it. I'm not sure of the mineral sand mines safety specifically but you can be assured that in Australia, all of these companies would be well and truly all over it. To summarize my thoughts. I think it is very good to be aware of the health and safety issues but we should be level headed about it. I don't think in a home context it will be to much of an issue I think we should do what we can to keep the dust down and be reasonably practicable when working with it. IMO this is good standard practice anyway. Hint: Did you know a good way to keep the dust down is to wet the sand? or be gentle with it moving moving it dry? Once again, thanks for sharing I enjoyed reading that info. It's always good to find out possible risks to health when using a product. Cheers.
  10. Earlier
  11. Chanced upon to this info on Quartz Si sand while searching for something on Zeolites.. All good info for the practitioners, so sharing. Comments welcome. http://www.inchem.org/documents/icsc/icsc/eics0808.htm First, PREVENT DISPERSION OF DUST! AVOID ALL CONTACT! SPILLAGE DISPOSAL/personal protection: particulate filter respirator adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Sweep spilled substance into covered containers. If appropriate, moisten first to prevent dusting. Wash away remainder with plenty of water. Danger: May cause cancer if inhaled. Causes damage to the lungs, the immune system and the kidneys through prolonged or repeated exposure if inhaled. Do NOT take working clothes home.
  12. Hi mamakat Welcome to APN/HQ cheers
  13. Hi mamakat, and welcome to APN There's lot's of information here at APN so have a little scroll through and don't be frightened to ask questions. Enjoy... Cheers.
  14. Hi all, I'm living in the country outside of Seattle. Raising chickens for our eggs and a summer garden. Have a 55 gallon tank thats looking to be repurposed. Thought about aquaponic but am a total newbie so I'm in research mode. Mamakat.
  15. Kia Ora Glenn, My kiddos were born in Auckland. We miss Aoteroa but living near the grandparents in Seattle now. Mamakat
  16. Hi Ande, I am aware of this myth and possibly another misconception regarding bottlegourd juice. A member of the cucurbitaceae family, it is a very common vegetable in India and is a hot sell commercially. I have begun drinking its juice raw couple of months ago ever since I was diagnosed as mild diabetic and borderline hypertensive. We grow this amazing vegetable all the time and family uses it cooked.. Experts try to reveal the truth here. Please give it a reading. https://food.ndtv.com/health/is-drinking-lauki-juice-harmful-de-bunking-the-myth-1841589 Also this https://food.ndtv.com/food-drinks/7-incredible-benefits-of-drinking-of-bottle-gourd-lauki-juice-1452828. Cheers!
  17. Hi vkn I'm not familiar with bottle gourd, it's not grown around here but you can buy them. Eating the fruit meat, is known as a lactation remedy here ? Using google I found this spooky news article https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/pune/healthy-woman-dies-after-drinking-bottle-gourd-juice/articleshow/64675921.cms from India, amongst numerous health benefit promotions, on the fruit like this article http://conscioushealth.net/10-health-benefits-of-bottle-gourd-or-lauki-conscious-health-nahid-ameen/ cheers
  18. Loki as fresh juice and as a vegetable for today's lunch from the hanging aquaponics gardens at Nanniode.. Some weighing over 2.2 kg, 8-12 fruits per plant at a spacing of 2-3 plants per square meter, consider bottlegourd as another successful vine crop in both domestic and commercial aquaponics sand culture applications. Have you also heard bottlegourds are magic vegetables as a medicine? Any thoughts?
  19. Hi fm7777 Welcome to APN/HQ I would stick to the blue drums (price), If you look in the comments (scroll down) in this link http://web.archive.org/web/20130825130637/http://www.earthangroup.com.au:80/diy-solids-filter/ you will get a flow capacity figure on the blue drum. You should also look in to multiple outlets of the fish(shrimp) tank, bottom drain/midwater pickup/surface skimmer. Use the RFF primarily on the bottom drain with aprox 20% of the total flow (increase at feeding time). Also remember until the filter is drained of solids, it represents a potential bio foul hazard, with the solids standing in the water column. IMO you should drain out the filter(s) as daily routine in any high density setup. If that is a practical problem, maybe look in to rotary drum filter or parabolic screen filter, where the solids are automatically taken directly out of the water column, as it passes thru. There are multiple threads on diy versions of all the filters on the forum, also koiphen forum has a great diy section http://www.koiphen.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?294-Pond-Construction-amp-Filtration&s=d9d545355e5a5d839cf027e52c19bde7 cheers
  20. I'm part of a senior capstone design team building a fish farming prototype. It's going to be a custom built 1600 gallon tank with a 1x turnover rate (1600 GPH). I've been researching how to design the water recirculation system for weeks now in aquarium forums until I discovered aquaponics and have been flooded with a wealth of invaluable information. While were not utilizing this system to grow plants (since it is a saltwater application), the methods in disposing of TSS is identical. Onto the question: (I know it sounds crazy, but...) The design of the tank we are utilizing allows us to house a large amount of shrimp per square meter, so we plan on feeding an average of 8 lb's of fish food a day. This is going to create a large amount of fish waste, and we intend to use a radial flow filter like in this video to handle the largest settleable solids. My concern is that the typical diy design with a 55 gallon plastic drum isn't going to cut it for out application since we don't want to be out there everyday emptying the solids. Therefore, can we resort to use multiple 55 gallon drums or maybe order a larger tank from this website. I figure an 80 gallon tank might make more sense for our application. Let me know what you guys think, and thank you!
  21. Hi Travis Welcome to APN/HQ Exciting operation you are taking on I wish you the best of luck on this journey There is numbers on tomato yield to fine in studie/doc. #5 in this post Also you should ask the Q's in separate posts, some forum members never read the welcome wagon forum, but will likely read posts with the theme (questions) adressed in the post headings cheers
  22. Hey all, My name is Travis and I haven't done much of anything with aquaponics besides start cantaloupe seeds in my 20 gal fish tank. Admittedly that was purely an accident from giving my fish a snack with a few seeds in it... ha! I have been looking into this for several years now and am currently working on a business plan for a company I have named Felon2Farmer. The concept goes beyond aquaponics but it does play a majority part in the proposed operation. I am currently stuck on the financials aspect mostly because everywhere I look at models it tells you how many heads of lettuce you can harvest from each set up but I'm not sure how to convert those numbers to other produce. i.e. tomatoes, peppers, watermelon, etc. If anyone has any tips on how to figure that up it would be greatly appreciated. TIA. Travis
  23. Hi

I'm in Hamilton,  on the outskirts.

My greenhouse is 16x12, double poly in winter. Made brackets to keep approx 6 air space without blower. I'll add pics when on my computer, from phone isn't working.

I plan to run  warm water system and cold water system simultaneously on either side of greenhouse.

Warm has blue and niles, cold probably trout or perch.

Cheers

24. Hi HA and welcome to APN, Yes Nice mess...I look forward to seeing your progress in the future. Cheers.
  25. Nice drawing. I'm in your area between lake and escarpment. Weather here is great for greenhouse!! Good luck!
  26. For Sure! Thanks
  27. Hi HamiltonAP Welcome to APN/HQ Nice mess you got hope you find time to share your upgrade, as it happens. cheers
  28. Hi Frosty Fish, I learned a lot from you ! thanks!
  1. Load more activity