All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Today
  2. Not only in this article, none of the listed ones has a reference to Mark's works. Doesn't it look something strange? Or could be ongoing academic turf war? Somehow I felt the need to point it out..just seems a bit myopic to me. Setting up a study like that or should be better.. coming soon from a couple of universities and private initiatives in India who also believed in what we have been doing. If you do have a question, “But what about when….," I have no clue, Ande. I can only wish and hope people, the new aquaponics adapters, get what is right and it is sustainable. Cheers!
  3. Yesterday
  4. Hi again vkn Wether they are familiar with IAVS or not, I wouldn't know ? They are clearly familiar with media beds, as a HP method. However, I don't think media beds are used in commercial settings, in tomato production, in Europe ? If so, it would most probably be with LECA (Light Expanded Clay Aggregate) in the media beds. My guess is, that they didn't find media beds relevant, in their tomato yield study ? The study presented here compares tomato yield, morphological (external) and biochemical (internal) fruit quality, and overall tomato plant vitality from three different HP systems (nutrient film technique, drip irrigation system, and floating raft culture) and examines the distribution of nutrients in different parts of the tomato plant. Three replicate AP systems were set up, each incorporating the three different HP systems coupled with a separate recirculating aquaculture unit growing Nile tilapia. IMO it would be odd to mention/refer to IAVS/MarkMcM in this context It would be cool if you had the opportunity to set up a study like that after all you are the only commercial IAVS operator around that I know of cheers
  5. Ande, not really. Clearly they are not aware that sand culture in aquaponics exists. It has been a vital growing system ever since hydroponics came into existence. "The only paper we are aware of is by Lennard and Leonard [15] compares floating rafts, gravel beds, and NFT for growing lettuce in AP and found that NFT produced significantly less biomass and removed the nutrients from fish water less efficiently than the other two systems." Reference #15: Lennard, W.A.; Leonard, B.V. A comparison of three different hydroponic sub-systems (gravel bed, floating and nutrient film technique) in an Aquaponic test system. Aquac. Int. 2006, 14, 539–550. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] References are also made to the works of Rakocy, Adler, Savidov, etc., but they missed this. "McMurtry, M.R., et al. 1990. Sand culture of vegetables using recirculating aquacultural effluents. Applied Agricultural Research. Vol. 5, No. 4. (Fall). p.280.284." Over to you.
  6. Last week
  7. Hi vkn See the heading : Tomato Productivity and Quality in Aquaponics: Comparison of Three Hydroponic Methods The study does not include any kind of media growing methods cheers
  8. Nice okra. My okra is is a little behind yours by just a couple weeks. Looking forward to picking some fresh okra once again this season. The only product I'm comfortable using on a regular basis for bug control is Neem oil/water mist. Once a week, or spot spray when a bug is spotted.
  9. Good collection, Ande..but to me it all appears to be half-cooked stories. What am I missing? For example, #5, how could academia make statements like those without comparing the yield results of aquaponics sand culture systems aka iAVs. I couldnt observe mention of Mark anywhere as well. What do you think?
  10. Hi phri I had read a few of them myself, but it's a good collection of peer-reviewed articles on aquaponics. There is also this aquaculture series, 4 articles on "Taxonomy of Means and Ends in Aquaculture Production" that you might find useful, from MDPI http://www.mdpi.com/search?q=Taxonomy+of+Means+and+Ends+in+Aquaculture+Production&authors=&journal=water&article_type=&search=Search enjoy cheers
  11. Kids scribble art using aquaponics veggies.. here is another one. Which one did you like? Original or its black & white copy?
  12. Hi Ande, Excellent find, although I have seen a number of these publications already.
  13. And, for today's lunch..
  14. Sunny day..here is a picture of the mini okra forest that we have.. Arka Anamika, the YVMV resistant cultivar of okra (ladies finger) commercial yield trial in aquaponics sand culture at NARDC Nanniode. Seeds are from IIHR, Bangalore. Progress has been good. Harvesting in batches every other day. Plants pumping out baby okras at a good rate. Expecting 25-30 kg per m2 or maybe more this season. It is evident that sand culture is producing greater yields than conventional soil culture for okra. Observed some early stage infestation of leaf rollers, leafhoppers, fruit borers, and mealybugs and we are working on several/most all IPM ways to reduce the potential yield loss due to these pests. Prevention (with a capital P) is always better than cure. Mark used to say this all the time. I am curious to know what are your organic pest management practices and wonder how you take care of your okra crop? Any okra lovers/growers?
  15. Earlier
  16. Aufin, labels sure..have a dozen or some more to be added in this list. The single white lacey flower is snake gourd and the cluster is that of bottlegourd.
  17. Recognize some of them. Need labels. Especially the white lacey flower.
  18. Hi,I bought a lot of MBBR media for my 5000 gallon system in 2015. I used most of it but i had one box left over that i thought i was going to use for a secondary project but i never did.The media is still in original packaging and never been used.Its allied aqua brand mbbr media.. ths link is exactly what i boughthttps://alliedaqua.com/equipment-and-su ... -feet-box/selling for $80 oboThe box and media has been stored indoors for the last 2-3 years. So no exposure to UV or temps that would degrade the quality in any way.
  19. Hi VKN, I assume (without knowing) that these are the flowers of various fruits and vegetables...right? Have you trialled any purely ornamental flowers in your iAVs systems. Gary
  20. "Little flower, but if I could understand what you are, root and all in all, I should know what God and man is." - Tennyson - These two dozen+ flower pictures are from our backyard aquaponica, Nanniode. Early morning scout and pouring rain today, could not get more clear pictures. If you could not correctly guess any of the plant names, let me know. Biodiversity is the key to sustainable food production especially when you are attempting to grow your own food. No toxic pesticides or chemical fertilizer supplements allowed, whatsoever..
  21. Hi all To day is http://www.worldoceansday.org cheers
  22. Hi Toga, Cedric here from Mauritius. I have been through one of your articles. Very interesting and I was trying to reach one of your links but it does not work anymore. The article is about Fiberglass curing etc. And there is a link where you provide a PDF of the EPA. Can you please advise if it can be obtained somewhere. Has there been some additional well documented articles further to the safety of fiberglass in Aquaponics? 

Your support would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Cedric

23. Congratulations on another installation.
  24. 1. A day for environmental reparations! Wish you another World Environment Day.. 2. This is also the day we at NARDC had begun aquaponics journey of organic farming in 2012 and has continued its work on a daily basis to this day. 3. Pictured is second phase works that began today at CSAF #3 Alappuzha.. Mr. Sree Nagesh, the franchise proprietor, laying the first brick at his demonstration aquaponics facility near Niranam, Kerala.
  25. Hi rhubarb harvested to day Got a good deal with my daughter in law, I give it all to her, I get some in return, in the form of cake and jam cheers
  26. For today's lunch.. Thank you A2 for another scribble art using aquaponics brinjals..
  27. I hope so, too. We would definitely appreciate more publicly-available information on iAVs in different places and circumstances.
  28. Excellent work, VKN. You continue to demonstrate the versatility of iAVs. How long do you anticipate that it will be before the sugar cane matures to the point where your kids can chew on it...or is it crushed for use in drinks? By the way, how do "aquaponics sand culture systems' differ from iAVs?
  1. Load more activity