All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Yesterday
  2. Last week
  3. Hey growers! So I found the time to do it all. The "filter" is under GB .. It's rather water management system than filter. Euro box is connected with raft by pipe for principle communicating vessels. The water level in eurobox is determined by the overflow (PVC knee) in raft bed. Grow bed will drain through affnans siphon outlet into eurobox, the water flows from the eurobox to the raft bed and from there back to pond through big orange pipe. The raft bed is continuously filled with a bypass pipe through eurobox. If the principle communicating vessels dont take a volume of water from grow bed, eurobox have overflow too. What do you think, is it suitable or too complicated? The styrofoam board on the raft bed will not float but hang over the surface. We'll probably air it, I saw it works without air, but I'll be calmer when bubbler (DWC) is bubbling. I haven't bought a pump yet, will you help me a little? Will it be enough? Max head: 4,5 m Flow rate: 9500 l/h https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquafort...191684?hash=item2cea7670c4:g:gLEAAOSwTpVc3HMm Thanks!
  4. Pretty cool, I would think heating your tanks could be pretty costly.
  5. Earlier
  6. Thanks so much for the information. I have joined your Facbook site and hope to get lots of information from teachers that are doing similar projects in their schools.
  7. Hi Markymark and welcome to APN, +1 to Andes comments. I look forward to seeing your progress. Cheers.
  8. Hey All, I am a middle school teacher in Ohio and am working on a project with the local boy scouts. We would like to get some game fish at the fry stage in the fall and raise them in a 55 gallon tank. Then take them and release them in their pond in the spring. I have done this with a trout in the classroom project, but it has become more of problem with meeting the states requirement for where we have to release them. I have talked with fish and game about the type of fish, they suggested Bluegill, Redear Sunfish or Catfish for the pond. Here are my questions: How many fish should I get for a 55 gallon tank assuming I get them in the fry stage like 2-4 inches in length? I wouldn’t go over about 20 as I’m sure you’re aware it’s the ultimate size just before harvest that you have to consider. Can I raise more than one breed at a time or should I just stick with one for now? Bluegill, redear, and catfish are compatible. I would’t put any bass in with those species. Even if the bass are pellet trained, and don’t eat the other species because of their size, they will stress them. Redear won’t come trained to feed on pellets. They can be trained but it’s very difficult. I wouldn’t consider redear. And I wold get fish you can feed pellets as live feed is inefficient and can be costly. It takes about 10 lbs. of live feed to grow 1 lb. of fish. It only takes 2 lbs. or less of the pellets to do the same thing. Should we get something like crayfish to help clean up the tank naturally? I wouldn’t. If you have sufficient mechanical filtration and biological filtration you should be fine. If you don’t you will run into problems. Types of plants we should have? I would not add plants I have a website with several teachers with aquaculture and aquaponic producers at the below link. Also Ohio fish producers etc Would live to have you and you could make valuable contacts in Ohio. https://www.facebook.com/groups/648955648871374/?epa=SEARCH_BOX
  9. Great Job Brian! Not to take away from this site, but I have over 50 active members and growing at the below link if you're interested -- including Gary McDonald and Kellen Weissebach from this site. Sure would love to have you. Very easy to post pictures on my site. One step process right from your browser. Sadly not much activity here anymore. https://www.facebook.com/groups/648955648871374/?epa=SEARCH_BOX
  10. Hello all - I'm not new to aquaponics at all. However new to having a system near completion. So i have a normal urban backyard and my wife has limited me on locations, so I've got my corner of the yard and here it is. My system is nearly 100% automated besides feeding my fish and turtles. It auto drains and fills, the water drained goes to my growbeds and then have a float valve to refill. I absolutely love dense over stocking and I know what can happen. However i like the ecoaystem design. Got about 100 fish in the tank - minnows, goldfish, koi, crayfish, turtles, and ramshorn. 3 turtles 1 full size res, and 2 small res. Im gonna start a youtube channel on my system because i think its fun, and will also probably cook since my family says i do it well. All typos I blame on my phone.
  11. cleaned more fish this weekend. 12 fish ranging from about 4lbs to 7.5 About 80 left in that 1000 gallon tank.. so i cant let up.. the fish load is too high we fried some last night with friends. and i sent about a lb of meat home with anyone that wanted it.. send about 3 lbs of meat with one guest that will cook it for his mom and family today.. and i am taking 7 lb to my moms for the extended family gathering there.
  12. Hi Markymark Welcome to APN/HQ. The forum has been a bit quiet lately. I guess that's how it is on most forums these days, the traffic comes in waves. It is more likely you get comments on your system, if you post it in the "members systems" forum (add link to your youtube channel) A lot of members never visit/read posts in the "welcome wagon" so your system may go undetected a long time here. cheers
  13. Not new to the concept of Aquaponics, but new to having a complete system. I currently have a thousand gallon tank and 100 gallon grow bed, as growing food out of the tank isn't completely my goal, having the huge biofilter was important too me. My main goal is just to grow tons of food in my backyard, and front yard while keeping it looking pleasant. It has changed quite a bit since that picture shown, I'm gonna start a youtube channel and kinda show my journey building out my system. However, it's too hard to stay consistent with all that. I like talking about this stuff and reading other posts and commenting, so I thought I'd join up and check everyone else system out in the process.
  14. Thank you for your reply. It was a great help.
  15. Hi Sandman Welcome to APN/HQ You should try try sending Jessele a PM, he has not been logged on since he signed up, but might respond if he gets a mail notification ? He is located in the Philippines and I wouldn't be surprised if his company name is Aquaponics go green. good luck cheers edit: look what a google search gave me https://aquaponicsgogreen.com
  16. Hi, I'm from davao. Do you ship there?
  17. I enjoy replying to myself... I ditched the aquariums, I don't think I was moving enough water (they got kinda gross), was cool to see fish but the tank with window (and possibly another tank same size) will suffice for fish viewing. Just thought Id add this because the tanks were rube goldberg-ish plumbed and not working well. Anyone have a system or systems similar to mine? Would appreciate some tips on trout - gh is in southern Ontario near lake Ontario. pic above is just before I ditched the aquarium madness! Cheers
  18. Forgot theres 4 14 foot nft with strawberries and lots of other stuff in warm water system, I guess putting a few nft's would on the cold water side wouldn't be a good idea because would raise water temp... not sure. pic is warm water side a few weeks ago (everything from seed except re grow green onions), more like a jungle now... Cheers
  19. Cold water system ( on left side of greenhouse) consists of Fish tank is 220 gal,2 55 gal barrels swirl and filter, 450 gal sump buried. 1- 40"x40"x14" raft and one 30"x40"x14" raft. Both deep water are aerated and siphon air as flow in. Warm water system (on right side of gh) consists of 200 gal fish tank with niles, 75 gal tank with blues and 3 beds all 40"x40"x14" 2 filled with hydroten and one deep water raft. Sump is 2 55 gal barrels buried. Question is if I put 100 3" rainbow trout in cold water system will that be enough plants? There's around 80 plants (kale and lettuce). I have it plumbed to swap water between two systems (the warm water is well established and cold water is only about a week running with a few dozen minnows) so I swapped some water up to help mature the cold system. I can plumb in the warm water deep water bed to the cold system - not sure if that is a good idea. I also plan on adding some deep water and or hydroten beds around the outside of the greenhouse to increase filtration and gain more cucumbers and pumpkins. I also have a 500 gal tank in a shaded are about 15 feet from greenhouse, I was thinking I could link that into the cold water system to help keep the water temp for the trout between 10 c and 14 c. A lot of plans - I know - any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  20. No leaks!!
  21. -- UPDATE -- Solar-Powered Aquaponic-Hydroponic PARTS - FOR SALE Disassembly In Progress - I'm currently DISMANTLING my Custom-Designed, Ken-Built, Solar-Powered Aquaponics & Hydroponics Fish-And-Food System and SELLING THE INDIVIDUAL COMPONENTS. It was designed to be modular and has already been taken apart and moved once ((from the back patio to the new greenhouse)) and everything except the 4'x4'x4' 400-gallon fish tank can be removed from the greenhouse and transported anywhere you want to take it for re-assembly and operation. NOTICE: This system will occupy a 16'x10'x10' space (greenhouse) and can run 24 hours/day off sunlight supplying you with more fish (Tilapia) and vegetables than two people can eat. And, yes, it's perfect for growing cannabis REALLY FAST too. Initial asking price is $500 for everything.. If seriously interested, call me 817-944-7373 or email KenWinters73@gmail.com or send me a Private Message on FB. As I take it apart I am saving some of the major components and bundling them up for easy transport and re-assembly. - If you enjoy DIY projects, this might be just what you need. View photos of the system in my Album (( SOLAR-POWERED AQUAPONIC-AND-HYDROPONIC SYSTEM...")) https://www.facebook.com/ken.winters.148
  22. Wondering if anyone has tried to use a subterranean (below the frost line) evaporative cooling system to keep their water cool for raising trout and other cool temp fish in climates that reach 100 degrees plus. I'm suggesting essentially installing a small pool and swamp cooler in a storm cellar type enclosure, then recycling that water above ground into the stock tank.
  23. Hello all, It's been awhile since I've posted, been a cold relentless winter and spring here in ontario, but the greenhouse is still going well. I have a 12x16 greenhouse with one warm water system (approx 400 gallons of tanks, 30 ish niles, 20 ish blues and seperate aquariums linked in with minnows and other fish) and am about to finish a cold water system no heat, on other side of greenhouse 450 gallon sump buried, 2 mechanical filter barrels and a 220 gal fish tank. In cold water system I hope to put perch or rainbows in. So I'm waiting a few more says for the silicone to cure around viewing window in cold water system. I tried a couple times to put window in bit failed. Determined I made this 'jig' and it went ok- i think- i will know this weekend when I test it. I'm trying to upload pictures from my phone. If it doesn't work right now I will download from phone to computer. I thought I'd post the pictures for people interested in installing windows and share my experience. Cheers
  24. Hi amarnanibharat, If DWC is the way you want to go then properly designed filtration is the key IMO. I'd connect each one of your rows up by having a drain in each tub going to a single drain then running the single drain to the end of the row then a single drain for each row draining to a media bed filter at a minimum, then run the media bed filter to the fish tank. If you can or will add more or better filtration then your system will have a higher chance of success One other question. How do you plan on growing your plants in your rafts? Cheers
  25. best way to connect six blue water crates to maintain water levels at all times. The lowest rack has a mini bath tub having fishes in it and a pump for circulation
  26. Hi Farbulous...great to hear from you again. 1. Since iAVS uses a sand bed as a biofilter, do folks using this type of system, (ideally if you're using it indoors,) find that there is much odor from the decomposing fish waste? There's little information on indoor iAVs's, so it's hard to give a definitive answer. When you talk about 'indoors'...how indoors do you mean? 2. Do people use worms in their sand beds to help break down the fish waste? What are your thoughts about having worms in the sand bed? No. There's no need. iAVs relies on a decomposing detritus layer on the surface of the sand...in the furrows. Worms would only drag the decomposing fish wastes into the sand - not what we want. 3. Can the design of the system be modified to incorporate other modules such as NFT troughs, DWC rafts, (non-sand) media beds? I would assume that any of these would be placed after the sand bed for the purpose of filtration. If one or more of these modules were part of the overall design, would that necessitate a sump tank? If you had a Ferrari, would you want to put Nissan badges on it? In any case, you would only know the extent to which the hybrid works if you had a standard iAVs against which to measure it. Start off with an iAVs and then experiment from there. I see you've registered over on my HMFL forum. If you want the latest information on iAVs...go HERE. Gary
  27. All responses are much appreciated! Thanks everyone.
  1. Load more activity